Tuesday 5 November 2013

Nuances

During today lesson we started with our usual warm up regime with Justine, we do this to improve flexibility and maintain fitness to aid out physical and challenging work we do in our performances. Today we had Justine for a longer period of time than usual, this was to gain tips on how to improve our motifs for the piece. During this session we extended our motifs and added little nuances for extra interesting detail. We added things such as hip movements and arm gesture we had done with both Daniel and Justine in our physical warm ups. We did this to vary the movement we used and to differenctiate our motif from others. I think that through extending our motif we have improved it a lot, this Is because it makes the piece more interesting for an audience member to watch and the little extra nuances such as controlled arm movements befor the faster more striking movements create contrast making the piece more engaging to watch. Today we also did a lot of work on the mimes we had created in small groups. My groups mime was originally rough to start off with and I didn't realy like it as I found it sloppy and not at a standard I was happy with. Over today's lessons my opinion of the mime has changed a lot, because it became a lot more rehearsed and we had fixed little errors such as synthesising rope from thin air, now we pick it up off the ground, this makes for a more realistic and thought through mime. Mime is all about precision and control without these two aspects the work will look sloppy and bad, today through practice I believe our piece has become more precise and now I think it is at a better standard, and more engaging for so,Rome to each and understand fully. Nearing the end of the session Daniel decided to try some comedy in the second tree motif. The idea is to have the dancers notice the clob footed walkers in confusion and then Amy would say "What you doing" and another would say "I don't like it" ect... I don't like or dislike this idea, but I would have to see it in context with an audience before I made my judgment, I think it has potential to be comical but the timing of it needs to be precise, and I don't think we have the timing yet. I do like to concept that the comedy cuts through the dramatic and theatrical serious work and connects with the audience placing them in an awkward position and making them feel uncomfortable. But I feel in needs more work to be effective and not look like a bad mistake which gets pity laughs and not real ones. 

1 comment:

  1. This is another good entry. You show how the piece is developing and reflect on how it changed and improved during the rehearsal process. Reflecting on your original opinions and how they have changed is a good way of tackling a devised piece like this. You are evaluating the work well in artistic and professional terms, and you have a constant eye on how you think the audience will receive the work we are creating.

    ReplyDelete